Allo' Expat Finland - Connecting Expats in Finland
Main Homepage
Allo' Expat Finland Logo

Subscribe to Allo' Expat Newsletter
Check our Rates
   Information Center Finland
Finland General Information
Finland Expatriates Handbook
Finland and Foreign Government
Finland General Listings
Finland Useful Tips
Housing in Finland
Pets to bring into Finland
Customs & Etiquettes
Business Etiquettes
Driving in Finland
Finland Education & Medical
Finland Travel & Tourism Info
Finland Lifestyle & Leisure
Finland Business Matters
  Sponsored Links

Check our Rates

Pets to Bring into Finland

In general, you are allowed to bring to Finland dogs and cats for which a veterinarian in the country of departure has issued a certificate confirming that the animal has been vaccinated against rabies not earlier than 12 months before the importation. The vaccine has to be approved by the Food and Health Department of the Finnish Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry. Vaccination is neither required for a dog or cat younger than 3 months coming from an EU country.

Requirements concerning echinococcosis imply that dogs and cats imported into Finland must be accompanied by a certificate issued by a veterinarian, showing that no more than 30 days before the arrival in Finland the animal has been given an appropriate dosage of medicine approved for the species concerned containing praziquantel against tapeworm which causes echinococcosis.

Finland is a member of the Pet Travel Scheme which allows pet carnivores (dogs, cats and ferrets) from any of the countries covered by the scheme to enter the country without quarantine provided they meet specified anti-rabies, blood sampling and anti-worm/anti-tick hygiene requirements.

Generally, to qualify for the scheme, the pet must:

  1. Be fitted with a microchip.
  2. Be vaccinated against rabies.
  3. Be blood tested to check the effectiveness of the Rabies vaccination.
  4. Be issued with an Official Pet Passport (or a Pet Travel Scheme Certificate).

Importation of birds is possible only with an import permit given by the Finnish Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry and by observing the permit conditions.

As for rabbits and other rodents such as guinea pigs, hamsters, rats, mice, etc, you are allowed to bring in without a permit of the Finnish Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry or without other veterinary certificates from the EU territory.

For further information, please call the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry on (+358-9) 160-3378 or (+358-9) 160-3382.





copyrights ©
2015 | Policy